Black Hole Mass vs. Galactic Bulge

From " Black Holes Shed Light On Galaxy Formation", ScienceDaily, 6/7/2000
For additional information, contact the Space Telescope Science Institute at http://www.stsci.edu/


  A study of galaxies has revealed that they appear to have formed around small black holes that then accumulated about 0.2% of the total mass of each galaxy. At that point, the angular momentum of the remaining 99.8% of each galaxy's mass prevented it from falling into the black hole, and instead, left it orbiting around its central singularity. Consequently, the masses of black holes are a function of the masses of their associated galaxies. Some super-size elliptical galaxies with large central bulges exhibit black holes with one to two billion solar masses, unlike our small-bulge Milky Way galaxy, with a central black hole estimated at a few million solar masses.
     The figure below  depicts this relationship.







    Another interesting conclusion is that in their early accretion phases, when matter was falling into them at a maximum rate, these black holes were quasars, or to say it another way, quasars may be black holes in their early accretion phases.


http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/pr/2000/22/content/0022cw.jpg

   The original press release may be found at http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/pr/2000/22.

   Additional Hubble information may be found at Hubble info